Monday, January 6, 2014

You Have To Start Somewhere

- "When life throws you a curve ball, do you continue to sit on a fastball or swing away?"

This is first ever actual blog post that anyone can read. I decided to create a Kansas City Royals baseball blog because of my love for the game. For my last Composition II assignment, upon graduating from Johnson County Community College with two Associate's degrees, we were given a "Living History" research paper. The paper consisted of interviewing someone who lived during a historical event and could present what happened. Being the baseball guy I am, I decided to interview Willie Aikens on the 1980 World Series and his career. A few people read it and told me I needed to start writing more about baseball or become a sports journalist (hence the blog). I love baseball. I love the Royals. If it isn't about either one of those things, I'd probably rather not talk about it.

One of the greatest experiences of my life was having the opportunity to work for the Royals as a security guard during the 2012 season. Working at the stadium more than tripled my love for them as well as getting hooked on baseball for life. I've talked to many players from the Royals and other teams while they visited. Before working at the K, I didn't have much of a "baseball collection" or "man cave". Today, I have at least fifty signed baseballs, dozens of signed bats (some given to me by players), signed hats, bobble heads, etc. You get the point. I love the Royals and it's because of my son that I do. He was born in the summer of 2011 and he is the reason I didn't go to college in another state. If he had not been born, I wouldn't have stayed in KC, I wouldn't have worked for the Royals, and I wouldn't have started our collection together.

Prior to creating this blog, I would just post my opinions, views, or events/facts/stats regarding the Royals (play-by-play updates or team moves) via Twitter. It's gotten to the point where I'd rather write articles (longer than 160 characters) and provide an in-depth as much as possible take of the Royals. Like many of you, I enjoy reading things that fans post about the Royals. Why? Because we go to the games, we see what happens, we understand the game, and want to voice how we feel. The 2014 season is just a few months away as pitchers/catchers will be reporting for Spring Training soon enough. I'm just as excited for FanFest on January 31st and February 1st as you are.

Thanks everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment